Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Roger and Me

I challenged God today.

I was upset and angry and had to get away from the office. Take a walk.

I was doubting the very existence I was so mad.

I took a look at the trees and the grass and immediately took back what I had just said. This isn't by accident. I just needed a reminder I guess.

I walked over to the gas station to compose myself and get a drink. I noticed a homeless man carrying a box. We passed each other and I continued on into the store.

I bought a Powerade and a Sunkist. My two favorite drinks. I walked out trying my best to say "I trust you God. I trust you with my life" over and over and then I walked by the homeless man again.

He was sitting in a parking spot drawing on the cardboard. I immediately felt the stirring to give him one of my drinks.

I told God, "No, not this time. I worked hard for this money I just spend. I want this drink. Besides, not after what just happened to me."

I got about 15 steps past the man, when I said "FINE!" and turned around. I walked up to the man and said "You thirsty?" and handed him the Powerade.

He said, "You don't have to do this. I will be fine." I just said, "I felt like I needed to. God bless you." Then I turned to walk away. I was still mad.

Then I heard, "Hey!" I turned around and he said something I couldn't understand. Then he motioned for me to come over.

I walked over and he started talking about some things I couldn't really understand. He was covering all kinds of topics and then I noticed what he was drawing.

I asked him about it and he started explaining it. He had drawn a picture of the hand of God pointing down and a cross. He had all kinds of random messages written. He asked me to read it aloud.

I did.

He then asked me to read it again, but this time slow down and not to go in order. He explained that I was taught to read a certain way, but he made this to be read any way you want it read.

I read it aloud. I then turned to him and asked him if he was saved. He said, "Oh yes", and then pulled out all kinds of literature about knowing God and even a small study of the book of John.

He asked me again to read it aloud, to make it my own. I did. Suddenly my prayer from this morning came flooding back to me. "Lord, let your love be shown in my life today". I guess I didn't expect to be the one on the receiving end.

Then a song that I listened to on the way to work entered my mind and these are some of the lyrics:

He sleeps under stars, it’s all he can afford
His blanket’s an old coat he’s had since the war
He stands on the corner of Carter and Vine
But I pretend not to see him for the twenty-first time

He may be a drifter who’s grown old and gray
But what if it’s Jesus and I walk away
I say I’m the body and drink of the wine
But I pretend not to see him for the twenty-first time


I walked away from that meeting with Roger feeling renewed and alive. I believe that was a meeting God desperately wanted me to have.

Thank you Roger.

5 comments:

  1. speechless. thanks for the post Wes

    ReplyDelete
  2. sometimes when we least expect it God shows up, simetimes we listen and sometime we walk away. Im learning the hard way on the learning to listen part. Ps I would have gave him the powerade too. There is just something about a sunkist that makes everything better for a min. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow. if we would all only open our eyes more to things like this. God is always at work. So neat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, this brought tears to my eyes. i'm in absolute awe of God's sovereignty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I argue with Him alot and this post just made me, well it made me feel a bit less crazy....thanks

    ReplyDelete