Tuesday, May 26, 2009

View from the wheelbarrow.

A circus performer named Blondin stretched a long cable across Niagara Falls. During high winds and without a safety net, this man would walk, prance and dance across the wire. He then asked the crowd gathered, "Do you believe I can walk a tight rope across the Falls?" They all replied, "Yes." They had already seen him do it.

Then he pushed a wheel barrow on a tight rope across Niagara Falls. When he completed the feat, he asked the onlookers, "Do you believe I can walk a tight rope across the Falls pushing a wheel barrow?" To that they replied unanimously, "Yes." Because they saw him do that too.

Finally, a buddy of the tight rope walker climbs into the wheel barrow and the tight rope walker pushes him across the Falls. Wow, what a daring feat! When they finished, the tight rope walker asked the crowd, "Do you believe I can walk a tight rope across the Falls pushing a wheel barrow with a person in it?" To that they exclaimed, "Yes!" For they were now believers and had seen him do it!

Then he looked at the crowd and asked, "Ok, Who's next?"

_________________________________________________________

Two weeks ago I took a little trip by myself to a cabin in East Tennessee. I wanted to get away and do some reading and spend some time alone with God. I spent some time in the sun and also reading and it was a great recharge, but an encounter with God in the middle of the kitchen floor is what I will always remember.

I started to get honest with God about some things. I wanted to know why my prayers weren't being answered, why my heart was still being broken, why I have so much uncertainty about my job and why I couldn't get a definite answer on anything. It was a real pity party and I was the party planner.

I felt the question, "Do you trust me?". Yes, yes of course I do. "No... do you trust the plans I have for you?". Yes...I do. I don't know what they are, but I trust you. "Will you follow me where I lead?". Right then and there I knew I had come to a crossroads. I decided then that I was either going to stand up from the kitchen floor and live my life for myself and leave behind all this suffering and uncertainty of my life or I was going to stand up and know without a doubt that I would follow Christ wherever he leads.

To be honest, it wasn't an automatic decision. I wish I could be the perfect Christian and tell you that I knew immediately. No, it hurt to say "Lord, wherever you lead...I will follow. I surrender my life and career to you."

That was on a Friday. On Monday, I lost my job.

I wish I could tell you I knew where this wheelbarrow is going, but I am not the one pushing it. I do know this though. Below me is a deep valley of doubt, depression and fear and I am safely above it in the arms of a Savior.

"Faith is the confidence that what we hope for will actually happen; it gives us assurance about things we cannot see." - Hebrews 11:1

3 comments:

  1. Wes, your display of faith is not only inspiring, it's a definite encouragement for me to start asking if I'm really ready to be that trusting.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wes, praying for you. So inspired by your faith!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great story Of Faith and I love Hebrews 11:1... Keep your chin up and Trust the Lord has something better in store for you!

    Coffee when your free?;)

    ReplyDelete