Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Noticing my perspective



Sometimes, all a person needs is a little perspective.

In my own life, I had never though much about perspective. Situations would come and go and my attitude never made a difference in the outcome, or so I thought. It wasn't until I read Andy Andrews book, “The Noticer” that my perspective changed.

The book tells the stories of the residents of Orange Beach, Alabama. They have the same problems and fears as any other town in America, but they also have Jones. Not Mr. Jones, just Jones please. He is a noticer. A what? Yeah, a noticer. He notices things about people and offers them “perspective.”

Take for example a 27 year old who was just lost his job. He is clueless on what comes next in his life and is scared. Jones would sit that kid down and offer him perspective. He would say, “Like all things that seem like a big deal... this ain't a big deal. Okay?” By the end of the conversation that 27 year old would not look at himself as an unemployed 27 year old who is clueless on what is next. He would be a 27 year old who has the extra time to spend with this creator, many more chances to show God's love by serving others whenever they need it, and finding out what his true passions are in life.

That is perspective. That is what Jones did for me.

The Noticer is a book that will entertain while imparting wisdom into your everyday life. It will remind you that what you are going through in life is no different from what others are experiencing. It will offer you perspective and leave you with some seeds to plant in someone else's life. In the end we all should strive to be a “noticer” for others. Because sometimes, all a person needs is a little perspective.

It's Wes. Not Mr. Wes, just Wes.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a great book. I'll put it on my list, I'm reading Get Out of That Pit by Beth Moore right now - HIGHLY recommend it.

    Blessings,
    Carolynn

    ReplyDelete