Thursday, January 15, 2009

Apple pies and coffee



I just walked into my room and saw my bed.

I am about to get underneath the covers and sleep soundly in a heated home. I will wake up refreshed tomorrow, ready for what the day brings me. How badly I take that for granted.

Tonight, me and some friends headed out in the bitter cold to hand out clothes, apple pies and coffee to the homeless. I went into it expecting to "feel" something, whether it be self gratification or God's approval. I felt nothing the entire time.

Until I saw my bed.

That's when my heart broke for the men and women we spoke to tonight. They were bundled up on benches preparing for a long night and eagerly took our coffee and apple pies. They were all very thankful and responded in an unusual way when we told them that we just wanted to share God's love. They would say, "I know I am blessed".

Could I say that if I was in their situation?

I was the one who got the blessing tonight, because my eyes were opened a little more to this world that we live in and what my role is while I am here. Why should I feel God's approval when I was just doing what he does for me everyday: showing love.

"This is the story of God: It was not enough to send an angel or prophet or any other, for an issue of love, you must go yourself. And so God came. This is the story of Jesus." - Soul Cravings

Without love, there is no God. Without God, there is no love.

Showing others love is a lifestyle, not a diet.

So thank you to David, Darryl, Gary, Michelle, Tony, James, Dwayne and Marco for blessing me tonight. I pray that you are warm and that you know that God loves you.

___________________________________________________

Quick story about Marco: We couldn't tell if he needed help or not and didn't want to ask him if he really didn't. It wasn't until we saw him picking up something off the ground that we decided to move in. He quickly and graciously accepted what we had to offer and then said this:

"I just picked up a penny that was on heads off the ground and then you showed up. I was like...Man, that was QUICK! Usually it takes a while for the good luck!"

3 comments:

  1. Man I hear you bro. Used to walk the streets of Seattle on the way to work seeing the homeless in their state, wondering how much I can help. Some college and high school buddies and I used to make sack lunches and pass them out during the weekends with a small NT bible, trying to reach out to them.

    Keep doing what you do, and keep praying. Seeds will be planted, and depending on what God has for you, you may be the one watering it, and watch God provide the increase.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean...I felt blessed upon laying in my warm bed. Such blessing should lead us not to guilt, but to action.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so awesome that you were able to share God's love in that way. I've read Soul Cravings before...amazing book. A life-transforming book.

    ReplyDelete