Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Childlike Ambition



Anna Leva and Mika are 5 and 6 years old. They recently decided that they wanted to get married. They didn't have some fake wedding ceremony with their parents where everyone said, "how cute". Nope, they took it a few steps further. They packed a bathing suit and sunglasses in a backpack and grabbed Anna Leva's sister, so she could serve as their witness, and they set out on their quest.

They left early one morning, before their parents were awake. Their destination? Africa. "It's warm there," they would later say. They claimed that they were "very much in love" and hatched their plan to get married after their families spent New Years Eve together.

They walked over a half a mile to the train station where police noticed three unattended kids waiting for a train and became suspicious. They had no money or passports, just childlike ambition.

Reading this story made me smile just like everyone else, but after a while I drew a parallel to my own life with it. Can we compare this story to what Christ wants with us?

"Wes, come with me. I want to take you on a journey."

"Now? What about-"

"Don't worry about that, just come. I promise that I will never leave you or forsake you."

"But what will people think? What about-"

"Wes, you are my child. I love you more than you will ever know. My will is perfect and pleasing and good."

"Can we go later? Now is just a really bad time."


Why is it so hard to drop everything and follow Him? Why is it so hard to have that childlike ambition that throws caution to the wind? Why did I put this journey off for 7 years and why was he still willing to take me on this journey?

"...nothing in all creation will ever be able to separate us from the love of God that is revealed in Christ Jesus our Lord." Romans 8:39

We can't dwell on the "why". We will never be able to comprehend just how much God loves us.

"God... all I have is me. I have nothing to bring with me."

"You are all I ever wanted."

No comments:

Post a Comment